With the recent increase in the popularity of pre-workout products, many travelers are unsure about the rules and regulations surrounding pre-workouts and air travel. After all, traveling with strange powders would make anyone uneasy. So can you bring pre-workout on a plane?
Yes, you can bring pre-workout on a plane. However, the quantity and way in which you pack your pre-workout matter. In this guide, we will break down the best practices for traveling with pre-workout, depending on the county you are in.
- Can You Bring Pre Workout On A Plane In The United States?
- Can I Bring Pre Workout On A Plane In Canada?
- Can You Bring Preworkout On A Plane In Australia?
- Can You Take Pre Workout On A Plane In The United Kingdom?
- Can You Take Pre Workout In Checked Luggage vs. Carry-On?
- Tips And Best Practices For Flying With Pre Workout Powders
- Final Thoughts
Can You Bring Pre Workout On A Plane In The United States?
According to the TSA, pre-workouts are classified as protein or energy powders. This means that you can leave the product in your carry-on bag if you are traveling with less than 12 oz. (350 ml).
If you have more than the specified quantity, you must take them out of your bag and allow for a separate screening in the X-ray machine. At that point, TSA agents may examine and test the powder. To simplify the process, it is easier to just stick pre-workouts in a checked bag if possible.
Can I Bring Pre Workout On A Plane In Canada?
Pre-workout powders are permitted in carry-on bags of up to 12 oz. / 350 ml in Canada, as in the United States. However, if you have more than the restricted amount, the supplement must be placed in a checked bag.
Can You Bring Preworkout On A Plane In Australia?
In Australia, there are no restrictions on pre-workouts provided that you are traveling domestically. You can travel with as many pre-workouts or other supplements as you want.
However, for international flights, there are more restrictions. You cannot take more than 12 oz. (350 ml) if you traveling internationally out of Australia. There is no limit on the number of distinct powders or containers you have, but the total volume of your powders must not exceed the restricted amount.
Can You Take Pre Workout On A Plane In The United Kingdom?
Yes, you are allowed to travel with pre-workout supplements in the United Kingdom. There are also no restrictions on powdered food items as a whole in the UK.
However, if you have these powders in your carry-on, agents may search or test substances to ensure that they are safe. To make things easier, it is once again advisable to travel with these substances in your carry-on if possible.
Can You Take Pre Workout In Checked Luggage vs. Carry-On?
In the United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, and Australia, you can bring preworkout in your checked luggage. In fact, it is what you should do in most cases to avoid extra security checks.
If you insist on traveling with your pre-workout in your carry-on, it is best to limit the quantity to 12 oz. (350 ml). Any additional amount may result in extra security checks if you are in Australia, the United Kingdom, or the United States. In Canada, more than the restricted amount is simply not allowed.
Tips And Best Practices For Flying With Pre Workout Powders
If you are going to be traveling with pre-workout, use these tips to avoid any headaches at the airport:
- Pack pre-workout powder in your checked bag: The vast majority of countries do not have limits on supplement powders as long as they are in your checked luggage. While most countries allow you to pack powders in your carry-on, you may be subjected to quantity limits or extra security measures.
- Only bring as much as you need: Be realistic about how much you will be working out so that you do not end up bringing products that you will not be using. If you find that you will be traveling for a long time, it may be worth it to just purchase pre-workouts at your destination if possible.
- Use a resealable container: resealable ziplock bags are the best options as they are secure, clear, and very easy to pack. That being said, any small container will work, provided that it is secure.
Many people are understandably fearful of traveling with pre workout. But the truth is that it is more common than you think. Just be sure to pay attention to the rules and regulations of the country you are in and you should have no issues.
Will TSA check supplements?
If you are traveling with supplements such as protein or pre-workout powders, TSA agents may ask you to place them in a separate bin or to check their contents using special testing. To avoid this, it is best to just place any supplements in your checked bag if possible.
Can you take pre-workout and creatine on a plane?
Yes, you bring pre-workout and creatine on a plane. However, if the quantity exceeds more than 12oz. (350ml), you have to put them in a separate bin during screening. Better yet, pack them in your carry-on and avoid the hassle.
Can you snort pre workout?
No, snorting pre-workout can lead to potential nasal damage. Also, the ingredients will not absorb properly if snorted.